Quantcast

Despite Ansaru Claiming Responsibility, Police Insist Boko Haram Behind Attacks on Mali Bound Soldiers

Despite Ansaru Claiming Responsibility, Police Insist Boko Haram Behind Attacks on Soldiers In Kogi State The attack on soldiers going to Mali was done by a three man gang. The Commissioner of Police in Kogi State, Mohammed Katsina, said a three-man gang was behind last Saturday’s attack on the convoy of Mali-bound soldiers at Abobo village, Okene-Lokoja road.

The commissioner, who made this known during a briefing in Lokoja on Monday, said that the high capacity Improvised Explosive Device, IED, used by the suspects was manufactured less than 24-hours before the attack. Mr. Katsina said that the soldiers were actually travelling on chartered civilian luxury buses to their destination when they were attacked by the hoodlums.

He, however, said that no arrest had been made so far by the police. Though the commissioner did not disclose the identity of the suspected attackers, a highly placed military source had told PREMIUM TIMES that the Army believed the attack was carried out by Boko Haram.

Mr. Katsina said the Army and men of the State Security Service, SSS, will meet in a few days time to analyse and collate their findings on the incident. The police boss said that the police was making progress in its efforts to track down the suspects, adding that the state remained one of the most peaceful states in the nation, in spite of the incident.

At least two soldiers were killed in the attack while five others were seriously injured on Saturday. The soldiers were travelling in a convoy of two luxury buses when they were attacked at about 6: 30 a.m. The soldiers were some of the Nigerian contingent to join other West African forces fighting for the control of Mali. Expended shells of AK 47 rifles and one active IED were recovered from the scene, Katsina said.

ource