Photos: Shut Down Following Protests in November, UNIABUJA Becomes Refugee Camp For Fulani Herdsmen

Photos: Shut Down Following Protests in November, UNIABUJA Becomes Refugee Camp For Fulani Herdsmen

Photos: Shut Down Following Protests in November, University of Abuja (UNIABUJA) Becomes Refugee Camp For Fulani Herdsmen

The University of Abuja, UNIABUJA, shut down in November 2012, remain closed and is now home to Fulani herdsmen.


As academic life returns and picks up in tertiary institutions across the country, students of the University of Abuja, UNIABUJA,  are still unsure of when the institution would resume as the gates remain shut.

The main campus of the university remains largely bereft of the normal hustle and bustle of academic life with most offices locked and classroom and labs taken over by cobwebs.

The strange sight that greets a visitor is that of Fulani herdsmen and their families living in makeshift tents close to the administrative area, the International Centre for Investigative Reporting is reporting today.

UNIABUJA has been shut since November last year following protests by students. Trouble started when students staged a two-day protest beginning November 19 demanding accreditation of some courses.

The students, mainly from the faculties of Medicine, Agriculture and Engineering, had been in the institution for years without hope for award of certificates by the school because their courses had not been accredited.
Some of the protesters comprised ex-students who had graduated but had neither been given results nor enlisted for the mandatory National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, scheme.

The protest was sparked by an announcement by the Minister of Education, Ruqayyatu Rufa’i, the previous week, suspended the programmes that had failed to meet with the National Universities Commission, NUC’s accreditation criteria.

The Vice Chancellor of the university, James Adelabu, addressed the students, appealing to them to tread the path of peace. He said although the accreditation challenge was inherited by his administration, the school’s management was doing its best to ensure the issue was resolved.

But persistent protests by the students led the authorities of the university to shut its gates and send students home. Two months after, the gates remain shut and students are not allowed into the campus.

In fact, security checks have been heightened around  the entrances to the institution to ward off the students.


  • flakky

    Naija life stop carrying fake news dat the VC pleaded with us which he never did.rather he sent thugs after us…….